Sunday, July 06, 2014

Without hesitation

Peter, suddenly bold, said, “Master, if it’s really you, call me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come ahead.” Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, “Master, save me!”

Jesus didn’t hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, “Faint-heart, what got into you?” 

(Matthew 14:28-31 MSG)

Jesus didn't hesitate. There was no teaching Peter a lesson on the part of Jesus. There was no letting him almost drown and then reaching for him. No committee meeting was called. Jesus didn't hesitate. 

When I've read this story, and others, in the past I've always seen stern Jesus there at the end. The Jesus who is upset because Peter sank and he had to save him. Like Jesus was mad at the lack of faith. I have the ingrained idea that Jesus walked around annoyed because the disciples were dumb. I have no idea where it comes from, but I find myself reading the Bible as if Jesus is always perturbed with the humans in his life. Maybe it's because I have the whole story in my hand and because I think they're dumb, Jesus probably does as well. 

This journey we are on has made me read the Bible a little different recently. Not so much from a place of superiority or as the self help book we pitch in our churches. I read it now because in the quite places, when I'm scared out of my mind, I need to know that Peter sank and Jesus didn't hesitate. 

(Side note: Where we read the Bible matters. Don't ever forget that.)

When I read it in The Message I even see Jesus smile as he asks, "what got into you?" I like smiling Jesus a lot. I like smiling Jesus when I'm going down the elevator trying to escape the 5th floor, praying the bandage is dry, freaking out, then remembering God is going to fix her, and Jesus smiles and says to me "what's got in to you?"

And he doesn't hesitate. 

He doesn't get mad at my lack of faith. 

He doesn't punish me for looking at the waves and feeling the wind rage around me. 

He doesn't wait for my bargain.

And He doesn't hesitate to grab my hand.  

And yes, we are still dry. 

#teamhealandseal

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job, Shane. We all think of Jesus (and God, too) with an exacting Father/OlderBrother visage. However, if we really look at Jesus, we can see His true sense of humor (coin in the fish story) and His compassion. Think of the CROWDS who swarmed Him. Who would follow an overbearing, austere personality? He had thousands! Who sat for hours without eating to listen. And loving? Little kids flocked to Him. He may have driven out the moneychangers, but MY Jesus held my hand and kept me out of the fray as that happened. He's the one that went to the cross. And got the guy next to Him a ticket on the 50-yard-line in the Heaven vs Hell SuperBowl. Loving your blog...following.

Birds, rain, and the need to create

Let's be real honest...I suck at blogging. I just refuse to find the time to do it and most of the time I have talked myself out of cert...