Thursday, February 18, 2016

Day Four, Five, and Six

I woke up this morning to horrible news…my phone’s “message app” was not working and I was unable to receive or send texts or receive phone calls. Then I tried resetting my phone and it froze. That was almost 4 hours ago now.

I am now sitting at Starbucks next to the Apple Store and wondering how the world is doing without me. These people here seem to be doing just fine, but I wonder if it is just a show. Alpha Omega has probably closed the office and sent employees home for the day. I imagine they are all waiting to hear from me once this problem is fixed.

My dad bought my sister and I our first cell phones when I was junior in college…or right before my 21st birthday. I remember standing in line at the Sprint store in Highland Park like I was the coolest kid on the planet. I was going to be able to call anyone from anywhere at anytime. No more having to wait till I got back to my dorm to call someone. I didn’t have to find a phone if mom paged me. I would be able to talk on the phone from Abilene to Duncanville if I wanted (and dad was willing to pay). There was no way that life would become any better than that day in December when they handed us our first cell phones.

I hate my phone.

Today I have learned that this stupid device has ruined sunshine and great weather. It sucks the life out of conversations and relationships. It makes my head hurt from squinting too much. And will waste most of today.

What if one year someone actually fasted from his or her cell phone? I do not have the courage, but what if? Think back to how life probably was pre-cell phone…we woke up without knowing the news from twitter and what our friend from 3rd grade had for dinner last night. We went to work and learned about the day once we got there. We listened to the radio and heard commercials. We paid attention better.


Maybe we spent more time with our spouses and kids…

No comments:

Birds, rain, and the need to create

Let's be real honest...I suck at blogging. I just refuse to find the time to do it and most of the time I have talked myself out of cert...